The MSG now offers BRCA genetic testing to evaluate the presence of mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes, which are associated with an increased risk of breast, prostate and ovarian cancer.
The BRCA gene test involves DNA analysis from a blood or saliva sample to detect detrimental alterations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes, both of which are linked to heightened susceptibility to breast, prostate, ovarian and other cancers.
Individuals with mutations in these genes face a higher probability of developing these cancers than the broader population.
This test is primarily recommended for individuals with a personal or familial history suggestive of a hereditary predisposition to breast, prostate, or ovarian cancers.
As part of our genetic testing service, we give counselling to the patient that offers insights into potential test outcomes and their implications, assists in making informed decisions about testing, and tailors testing suggestions based on an individual's familial history.
Benefits of BRCA Genetic Testing
- Clinical Accuracy: Utilising state-of-the-art technology, our genetic tests provide precise results about the presence or absence of BRCA mutations.
- Informed Decision Making: Understanding your BRCA status can help guide clinical decisions, potential interventions, and surveillance strategies.
- Risk Assessment: Individuals with BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutations have a higher risk of developing certain cancers. Early detection allows for timely monitoring and preventive measures.
- Consultation: Prior to testing, patients meet with our Consultant Medical Oncologist Dr Matthew Clark to discuss the testing process, potential outcomes, and implications.
- Sample Collection: A blood or saliva sample is taken in our clinic.
- Analysis: The sample undergoes a comprehensive genetic analysis to detect mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes.
- Results: Once the analysis is complete, there is a follow-up consultation with Dr Clark where the results are discussed in detail with the patient and appropriate clinical recommendations are made based on the findings.
|Advanced genetic testing fees
|BRCA genetic test
Prices updated as of 01/01/2024
Please call us on 01481 238565 for details or to make an appointment.